Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fallen Friends at the Brown Table

Hey, World!!  Ok I know it's been a while, in fact its been forever, and I want to apologize for the absence. One reason is because I've been super busy with school and work and other things (no in reality its just school and work), but I'm back now. The other reason is this, I promised to write this particular blog post and I've been reluctant to do so because of its sentimental value, but as promised here it is.


Most of you may not know, that I am the oldest of six siblings, three boys and three girls. Well, I'm just going to cut right to the story. In 2007, my freshmen year of college, my youngest brother Kevin died from a severe asthma attack. He was 13 years old. To say it was hard on my family is an understatement, and its effects still remain today. But, there is a lot of good that has been brought into my life from having that experience. I've been able to help others going through the same situation and its a good feeling. Also, I started going to school for respiratory therapy. Honestly it wasn't all because of that situation, but to say it didn't play a part in my decision would be a farce.
My first semester sophomore year, I started writing my songs for the Brown Table album "Getting Serious", and I wrote this song. At the time I had no idea why I wrote it. It wasn't about a girl or anything I was going through. I actually related it to God and felling like you've lost your way. It just had no definitive meaning to it ,for me at least. I had actually wanted to write a song for Kevin, and I did. It was called angels. I was a guitar song that I had written and it just didn't feel right to me. See a mentor and friend of mine( see him at fatdreek.blogspot.com, lost a lifetime friend of his, and wrote a song about it. To this day I think it was one of the better songs he ever did. I never met his friend but every time I see his name, or hear that song I wanna shout out R.I.P. Velo, that's just how the song makes me feel. I wanted to do something similar for my brother, but I dint correlate this song with it until now. It began as a challenge from my friend Titus who encouraged me to write more complex music. Before this song, my lyrics were good, but they lacked he depth we often used in everyday conversation. If you were to sit and have a real conversation with us you would have thought we were crazy. (some of you did) It was because we used metaphors and similes, like nouns and verbs. It was just the way we spoke. so at any given time our conversation would take on a whole new meaning that only we could grasp. (I miss those days). Well now, I look back at this song and I look at the time period that I wrote it in and it seems a perfect dedication song to my fallen comrade Kevin


I don't like to dwell on the fact that he died, because it was a dark time for everyone involved. I don't even like to dwell on the good memories because it makes me miss him. So I do what I know how to do and that's sing my problems away. Now I have the appropriate song to do it with. Now when you hear it or watch this video, remember your loved ones and find your outlet to honor them properly.


Love ya world
Vic


ps. here are some brown table pictures from our photoshoot with Leigh Rounsaville
 (Left to right) Ben Sebrell, Darryl Gittens, Me, and Titus Golden





Vic!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful song. Rip Kevin and Rip to my brother Geovanni. Didn't know we had this in common. You learn something new everyday :)

    ReplyDelete